Lena is our fabulous little hideaway, a roomy, four bedroom mountain chalet tucked away in a quiet side-street at the base of the Kramer-Mountain in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The village is Germany’s primary ski destination, home to Germany’s tallest mountain, the Zugspitze and arguably equally as perfect in the summer as it is in the winter. We love it here and we are incredibly happy with our ‘Lena’ - especially after an extensive renovation recently.
When we first came to Garmisch, one of the local cows en route from the mountains back to the farm decided to stray away from the herd and to feast on the meadows in front of our house.
When the farmer came to collect her (the farm is just across the river, a short walking distance from the house), he had a lovely discussion with his 'Lena' about do's and don't of everyday life as a cow!
Thus we decided the name is perfect for our little hideaway, an opportunity to stray away from day to day life and to feast the senses...
Lena is located on the sunny south side of the Garmisch valley, steps away from the luxurious Grand Hotel Sonnenbichl. The house is part of a luxurious complex of 10 homes and apartments, perched on a grassy knoll and features phenomenal views of the entire mountain range, including unobstructed views on Germany’s highest mountain: the Zugspitze.
Phenomenal views on the entire mountain range, including unobstructed views on Germany’s highest mountain: the Zugspitze. We recently renovated the entire home from top to bottom and Lena now features a new kitchen, floors, bathrooms & furniture, all done in a contemporary yet authentic Bavarian style with a subtle and fun ‘cow’ theme. As we are allergic ourselves and we want to keep the house as Allergy-friendly as possible, we don’t allow any pets. (i.e. delete the Private parking and the renovated in Fall 2014)
• Large living room with panorama windows and surrounding terrace (perfect for breakfast al fresco and evening cocktails!)
• Traditional Bavarian wood stove is the centerpiece of the living areas – connecting (and gently heating) both living room and dining area/kitchen.
• New kitchen with German top-brand appliances, including convection oven, microwave, and an extra-wide 5 burner glasstop stove.
• Master bedroom features ensuite bathroom with separate shower and double vanity as well as a private balcony.
• Secondary bedroom with four poster bed and Bavarian style furniture collection.
• The fourth bedroom features a king-size bed (which can be separated into two twins), nicely tucked away and very quiet.
The lower level features what we call the ‘Kids' Living Room,' a large hideaway for the juniors, featuring a separate entrance, bunk beds, table & chairs that are perfect for games and to ‘hang-out’ (ideal for the juniors, however everything is scaled to be perfectly suitable for any age – as a matter of fact, this is our mother-in-law's living area!).
The Spa: featuring a Sauna, undoubtedly the perfect feature for any mountain retreat and the lifesaver after a day of skiing or hiking. Lena has a full size cold plunge that has been carved into the mountain and we recently added some gym equipment.
Speaking of skiing: Lena also features a separate storage room for skis and any gear including boot-dryers (you can't imagine the fabulous feeling of stepping into warm boots in the morning!).